Chad Townsend, Danek Hadley and Molly McDermaid, the directors of the junior Golf Program at Gowan Brae are excited about the up coming golf season.
Our bilingual program comprises of 8 weeks of golf instruction. Each week we focus on different aspect of the game and juniors are tested every Wednesday with our scramble tournaments and skill challenges. Each junior receives a minimum of two clinics per week plus other organized activities. Our age categories range from 8-9, 10-11 and 12-14 years. We teach the juniors all the fundamental skills that are necessary to enjoy the game of golf.
The best known products of our program are Adam Chamberlain and Kristi Vienneau, who both are currently still giving back to the program that jump started their golfing careers
“One of the most outstanding Junior Programs in the Maritimes”.Junior Program information package
Dave Ross past CPGA president
Junior Golf Categories – Age as of August 1st
- Junior 17 and 18
- Juvenile 15 and 16
- Bantam 13 and 14
- PeeWee 12 and Under
Tournaments & Events
Start Date End Date Name
* For additional information on any of these Tournaments and events please see any of the junior coordinators
NB Player of the Year Events
Visit www.golfnb.ca for more information on other events.
For additional information on any of these Tournaments and events please see any of the junior coordinators.
Juniors are responsible to find their own drive to all events.
Gowan Brae Golf & Country Club Junior Rules
- Junior Juniors (ages 8-10) must be accompanied by an adult member and tee off during the designated junior tee off times given below.
- Available junior tee off times:
- During school year: After school - before 4:30pm & after 7pm
- Summer weekdays: Between 10:00am and 3:00pm and after 7:00pm
- Weekends & Holidays: After 3:00p.m
- Boys with established handicaps less than 18 and girls with established handicaps less than 30 may be approved by instructors to play at any time.
- Minimal age to be eligible for Junior Junior membership is 8 years old in reference to the school calendar.
What to wear
- Collared golf shirt
- Dress pants or shorts
- Sweaters/sweater vests
- Golf Shoes or sneakers
- The dress code is important as it represents not only our juniors but also Gowan Brae Golf Course.
What NOT to wear
- Short Shorts
- Ripped/damaged clothing
- Inappropriate slogans/vulgar quotes or sayings
- Backwards hat/visor
Junior Golf Clinic Schedule 2018(June 25, 2018 – August 20, 2018)
Monday 8:45-9:45am: 8-9 year olds 10:00-11:00am: 10-11 year old 11:15-12:15 12-14 year olds 1:15-2:30: Competitive Program 2:30-4:30: Play with the Junior Coordinators Tuesday 8:45-9:45am: 8-9 year olds 10:00-11:00am: 10-11 year old 11:15-12:15: 12-14 year olds 1:15-2:30: Competitive Program 2:30-4:30: Play with the Junior Coordinators Wednesday 9:30am – 12:00pm Junior Course Scramble: (8-11 years of age) Meal and prizes also provided for $2 per player 1:00 - 2:00p.m: Skills Competition (optional) 1:30pm-2:30pm Tee times for juniors aged 12-18 on main course.
Only junior golfers that are competing in junior’s events outside of Gowan Brae can attend these clinics.
Strength and cardio training for golf; minimum age of 10 yrs. old to attend this clinic.
Junior Course Scramble
On Wednesday morning juniors aged 8 to 12 can participate in our junior course scramble. This is a fun activity to learn the fundamentals of golf as it’s played on the course. After finishing the 7 holes juniors will enjoy Hot Dogs and snacks at a cost of $2.
The Dedication Award
This year the junior program will recognize one male and one female individual who have dedicated their summer to improve their golf game. This award will be presented to the two athletes who spend countless hours practicing every shot, who play every day, and who have a passion to excel at golf.The junior coordinators will select the deserving individual of the award.
The Final Banquet
The final banquet will take place on August 16th following the Junior Club Championships. All juniors are invited. The banquet will start with dinner then proceed to a recap of the year’s progress accompanied with pictures. There will be prizes for all juniors who participate in the junior club championship and the junior club champions and UCT winners will be announced.* The cost for extra tickets will be $15 and can be purchased in the Pro Shop starting August 1st
Junior Golf Week Draw Tickets
Every junior who participates in this year’s program will be asked to sell at least 1 booklet of 5 tickets.
- Sell the most tickets of all the junior members and receive a $50 gift certificate from the Pro shop.