Chad Townsend, Danek Hadley and Molly MacDermaid, the directors of the junior Golf Program at Gowan Brae are excited about the upcoming golf season.
Our bilingual program comprises of 8 weeks of golf instruction. Each week we focus on different aspect of the game and juniors are tested every Wednesday with our scramble tournaments and skill challenges. Each junior receives a minimum of two clinics per week plus other organized activities. Our age categories range from 8-9, 10-11 and 12-15 years. We teach the juniors all the fundamental skills that are necessary to enjoy the game of golf.
The best known products of our program are Adam Chamberlain, Kristi Vienneau, Molly MacDermaid and Danek Hadley. All of whom have or are are currently still giving back to the program that jump-started their golfing careers.
“One of the most outstanding Junior Programs in the Maritimes”.
Dave Ross past CPGA president
Junior Golf Categories – Age as of August 1st
- Junior 17 and 18
- Juvenile 15 and 16
- Bantam 13 and 14
- PeeWee 12 and Under
Tournaments & Events
Gowan Brae Golf & Country Club Junior Rules
- Junior Juniors (ages 8-10) must be accompanied by an adult member and tee off during the designated junior tee off times given below.
- Available junior tee off times:
- During school year: After school - before 4:30pm & after 7pm
- Summer weekdays: Between 10:00am and 3:00pm and after 7:00pm
- Weekends & Holidays: After 3:00p.m
- Boys with established handicaps less than 18 and girls with established handicaps less than 30 may be approved by instructors to play at any time.
- Minimal age to be eligible for Junior Junior membership is 8 years old in reference to the school calendar.
What to wear
- Collared golf shirt
- Dress pants or shorts
- Sweaters/sweater vests
- Golf Shoes or sneakers
- The dress code is important as it represents not only our juniors but also Gowan Brae Golf Course.
What NOT to wear
- Short Shorts
- Ripped/damaged clothing
- Inappropriate slogans/vulgar quotes or sayings
- Backwards hat/visor
Junior Golf Clinic Schedule 2019
June 24, 2019 – August 14, 2019
|Monday||8:45-9:45am: 8-9 year olds|
|10:00-11:00am: 10-11 year old|
|11:15-12:15 12-15 year olds|
|12:45-1:30 Skills Challenge|
|1:30-2:00: Tee times available for juniors|
|Wednesday||9:00am – 12:00pm Junior Course Scramble / Junior Clinic|
Junior Course Scramble / Clinic on Wednesday morning
On Wednesday morning we will divide the juniors into two groups: one will play the junior course for the first hour and twenty minutes and the other group will have a clinic then the groups will switch locations for the second hour and twenty minutes. At 11:45am all the juniors will gather on the deck to enjoy a small lunch and snacks at a cost of $2.
The Dedication Award
This year the junior program will recognize one male and one female individual who have dedicated their summer to improve their golf game. This award will be presented to the two athletes who spend countless hours practicing every shot, who play every day, and who have a passion to excel at golf.
The junior coordinators will select the deserving individual of the award.
The Final Banquet
The final banquet will take place on August 13th following the Junior Club Championships. All juniors are invited. The banquet will start with dinner then proceed to a recap of the year’s progress accompanied with pictures. There will be prizes for all juniors who participate in the junior club championship and the junior club champions and UCT winners will be announced.
* The cost for extra tickets will be $20 and can be purchased in the Pro Shop starting August 1st